Monday, November 19, 2012

Best Dinner Ever...No Exaggeration.

Let me start off saying this is NOT my recipe. I wish I could take claim, but I cannot. We did a recipe exchange for our MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) group and I ended up with some great recipes. This was one of them. For those of you that are local, I honestly felt that I liked it better than Love Love Teriyaki...and that's saying something. No offense Love Love, we still "love" you, but I do like that I know what ingredients are being used...I always prefer food I make over food you can buy cooked for you. Requires a little more effort, but I just don't like not knowing what is being put in my food. So, for those of you wanting a great, quick, easy dinner recipe for the whole family...here it is (Ruby, you can stop reading now, you won't like it..haha). Oh and I should add that the only change I made was to use honey in place of sugar (since we don't eat refined sugar) and added sesame seeds (they are filled with great nutrients despite being so small). 




Crock Pot Teriyaki Chicken
Serves 3-4 (I halved the original recipe, so if you have a large family feel free to double it)
Adapted from Jess Eggert

Ingredients:
6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
1/3 c. honey
1/3 c. soy sauce (we use an organic gluten free one)*
3 T. apple cider vinegar
1/3 tsp. ground ginger
1-2 minced garlic cloves
Fresh ground pepper
2 1/4 tsp. cornstarch
2 1/4 tsp. water
Cooked brown rice (baked brown rice is amazing, try it, you'll LOVE it)
Sesame seeds for garnish

Directions:
Place chicken in a crockpot. In a bowl, combine the honey, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, ginger, garlic, and pepper. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours (depending on your crockpot) or until chicken is cooked through and tender. Remove chicken and set aside, keep warm. Place the leftover sauce from the crockpot into a saucepan and bring to boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into sauce and let simmer until thickened. Serve over chicken, rice, and veggies of your choosing and toss on sesame seeds. 

The person who gave me the recipe suggested using broccoli slaw (I've seen this at Trader Joe's and at Winco...I'm sure you can find it at any store). What a great suggestion that was! I simply sauteed it in a bit of coconut oil until softened and slightly brown and we were both raving over the flavor. You must add it! 

So, definitely try this one. Josh even raved over it despite the fact that he has a cold and can't taste a thing. Yep, worth it.

*Whether or not you choose to eat gluten, I will always recommend an organic soy sauce. For those of you watching out for GMO's, soy is notorious for containing lots of them. Pregnant or not, I don't want nasty chemicals in my food.

1 comment:

  1. Always looking for new yummy recipes!!! Will try this one!

    ReplyDelete