Monday, January 24, 2011

Let 'Er Rip

So just because we had a baby does not mean we have totally fallen off the face of the DIYosphere. Look it up, it's in the dictionary...maybe the dictionary I made up...but in the dictionary nonetheless. 


I have truly been aching to get my hands dirty in the house (other than by changing diapers 24/7). I actually have two projects on the brain right now...ok well I have a lot, but two that are doable within the next month. The update that we made was actually done by Josh. I had no part in it, other than to say that I wanted it done. My excuse is that I was working full-time and just did not have a free moment to help...oh and because my wonderful hubby decided to do it without even telling me so in my defense I really couldn't help. 


Now, on to the project at hand. One of the first big projects we took on in our house was ripping up the carpet. I had peeked underneath it when we were first purchasing the home to make sure that the original hardwoods were still intact. Not only were they intact, but they looked in fairly decent condition. Well, we Josh ripped up the carpet in the living room, hallway, and Eden's room while I was busy cooking up a baby...seriously, I shouldn't have even stated that, but oh well. The one room we didn't get to during the pregnancy was our bedroom. 


When we were moving in we had decided that our master bedroom would be the last one that we focused on. Now, that wouldn't be what we would usually do or recommend to anyone...I think the master bedroom should always be a focus. However, in our house, the master was the room that needed the least amount of work, and we felt that it looked "good enough" to just leave as is since we had other rooms that desperately needed our attention. I still think this was a good idea because the room, although not perfect, still has a romantic touch to it and we are happy with what we have for now. So, without further adieu, here is the before and after of our in progress master bedroom...




BEFORE
(The serious BEFORE from our first showing)




AFTER


As long as you ignore the green tinted floors (seriously don't know why three rooms out of four have green flooring), the room is  actually looking fairly decent. Oh and please ignore the lump in the bed, that is our firstborn daughter, a.k.a Bella the dog, in the spot she frequents the most. Honestly, she is in bed from 10 p.m. until 2 p.m. the next day. It is ridiculous. Anyway, we still have a rug to add and some other touches, but for now I am just so happy to be rid of the carpet. Josh and I absolutely love hardwoods so it is nice to be rid of all most of it. That is right, there is still more.  Thankfully all that is left is a small square in our master bedroom closet which should take just a couple of hours to rip up and then we will be free from carpeting. I. CANNOT. WAIT. 

4 comments:

  1. I hear you on the can't stand carpeting thing. We're a long way off but it's nice to know someone is (almost) rid of it! And - is it just me? - I really like tinted wood. The green looks cool and funky from here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jen, we like the character it gives and thankfully the green isn't as noticeable in the bedrooms, BUT you should see the kitchen...it's mega green! Glad you agree on the hardwoods :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love seeing your house updates, thanks Mal! And btw, you SCARED me (just a little) with your comment about your first born being a lump on the bed! And then I laughed :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley,HAHA...that is why I decided to add in "Bella the dog" at the end. I figured it might throw a few off ;)xo,Mal

    ReplyDelete