Monday, January 10, 2011

You're Fired!

Ok, you are not really fired. I'm not fired either. Really I was just feeling the need to channel the Trump just then. The truth is my work and I had a mutual breakup today at 12:00 p.m. As I had mentioned in this post my job was ending in January. Since I no longer work for said employer, I will go ahead and reveal who my boss is (I know a lot of people already know, but this is for those of you who are not in the know). 




See that nice looking man there? That is Governor Ted Kulongoski, Oregon's 36th Governor. 

In May of 2009 I was right in the midst of a layoff and received a call from the governor's office asking if I would be interested in a position. Seriously, this was a dream come true for me. I had loved the job that I was at, but with it ending I had no idea where I would end up. I had always dreamed about working for the governor, but never in my wildest dreams thought it was possible. 

The job itself presented many challenges, but it was fun and most days I truly enjoyed going into work. My actual job title was public service representative, which basically means I answered the governor's phone line, welcomed his guests, and coordinated his proclamations. It was ironic that I answered phones all day since I pretty much shake at the idea of answering a phone. Oh and I also gave myself the title of bodyguard. Seriously, don't mess with anyone in my office, I am scary. 

Anyway, today marks the last day of Governor Kulongoski's administration and the beginning of Governor Kitzhaber's. For those of you that are not into Oregon politics, this is the first time in history that a governor has been elected for a third term (you can only serve two terms in a row, but can serve another term later on). I really think today is bittersweet. I am so over the moon excited that I get to stay at home with my baby, but sad that I will no longer be working with the governor. I am also having a difficult time adjusting to the idea that I no longer have to be on the lookout for jobs (I've caught myself looking for jobs twice this past week). I have been employed since I was 15 and a lot of that time I was working full-time, even throughout high school and college. So, just for the sake of it, here is a look back at my employment history.
  • Mail Depot clerk (this job lasted for many many years)
  • Espresso Time barista (my parents were my bosses)
  • Children's Ministries Assistant Supervisor
  • Nanny
  • Housecleaner
  • Nordstrom intern
  • Department of Administrative Services Receptionist
  • Children's Ministries Coordinator
  • Office of Economic Analysis Assistant
  • Governor's Office Public Service Representative
I actually am quite convinced that I am missing a job or two, but apparently these were the ones that left lasting impressions. 

Well, time to start my new job (after a little celebration, of course)! I'll let you all know how being a stay at home mom and real estate assistant works out after I get my feet wet a little bit. Here goes nothing...


*Please note that I will not publish comments that obtain your personal views on politics. I am not posting this to hear how you feel about certain governor's or their policies, it's really just to tell you a little more about what I have been up to lately. Thanks for keeping this blog free from argument  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment